Saturday 14 January 2012

Spiced Banana Almond Meal Pancakes

Photo courtesy of Roost.

First off, I need to tell you I have followed a lot of really beautiful and sexy food blogs. (Am I allowed to say sexy on here?) There are some wonderful sites out there and they are so great for inspiration. The photos are amazing and the recipes usually follow suit. Nothing I have seen compares with Roost. Roost is such a beautiful website that it left me speechless for a while. Even now I don't have the words to describe the beauty of it. You will have to see for yourself. The photography is absolutely breathtaking.

I first came across Roost when a friend sent me a link to their recipe for Spiced Banana Almond Meal Pancakes. The pancakes in the photos looked fantastic, and the recipe was very healthful. I knew they would be easy for BoyBee to eat...and he seems to like anything that resembles a pancake. (If you've noticed that I have a slight obsession with pancakes, that is the reason why.) I've tried a few recipes based on almond flour, and while I am quite fond of almonds I was not fond of almond flour as a base flour in baking. I think it was the following statement on Roost that hooked me:

I scoured the internet searching for alternatives and found several recipes for almond flour pancakes. So with much trial and error I have found a combination to satisfy our cravings.
It sounded like Roost had already done the experimenting for me; I figured the recipe was worth trying. The pancakes are super healthy and I knew I would be ecstatic if BoyBee would eat such a healthful pancake. These pancakes easily exceeded my expectations. BoyBee gobbled them up without me even asking him to try them, and I loved them as well. We'll certainly be making them regularly.

Today I feel grateful that we were forced to explore a gluten free life. We have learned about so many new foods, and have found such healthier options for many traditional foods that we never would have thought to try. We still have much more to discover. With so many incredibly inspiring food blogs out there I am absolutely swimming in ideas and loving it!

Spiced Banana Almond Meal Pancakes

  • 2 cups almond flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 3 overripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • ghee for greasing the pan (or coconut oil or butter)
  • honey and berries for topping
  • In a bowl mix the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix wet ingredients (including bananas).Pour wet and dry ingredients into a blender and blend for about 30 seconds. Heat a non-stick griddle pan or skillet and grease with ghee, coconut oil, or butter. Pour batter (if a little thick use a spoon to help flatten out the batter in the pan) into 4-inch rounds. Cook and flip until each side is done.

    Remove from pan and spread with ghee, butter or coconut oil. Drizzle with honey. Top with berries and enjoy your Saturday!

    Makes about 12 4-inch pancakes

    You can subscribe to Gluten Free Bumble Bee via Email, RSS or Twitter.

    Shop at Amazon.com or Amazon.ca and support Gluten Free Bumble Bee.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment